Monday, March 2, 2009

Pantry raid

Some time ago, I got on a Good Eats kick. A few times, I would try to make something that was featured on the show. A couple of examples, ribs and jerky. The jerky turned out good. The ribs were ok, mostly because it was the first time and I didn't have proper cooking utensils.

One theme Alton has done is 'pantry raid', where he takes various items from the fridge and pantry and whips up interesting concoctions. Today, I tried my own version.

Got some deer meat in the freezer, one pack of sausage and some burger meat. Recently, I cooked up a helping of the burger meat and made patties. Good, no doubt. Had a couple left over so they went in the fridge.

Today, I decided to use those two patties, but I didn't want burgers. So I thought I'd chop them up and throw them in a skillet to heat them up.

Wait a second, I've got various items in the cabinet that could be used to flavor the meat. Yeah, let's try this.

So here's what I did: a little Worcestershire sauce, pinch of salt, a dab of liquid smoke, squirt of honey and some old bay seasoning. Didn't measure, but I'd guess about a tablespoon or three of the combined mix was made. (side note: the Worcestershire sauce was homemade, but that's another story)

Poured the mix over the chopped up deer burger and let it sit for about an hour (couldn't wait, I was hungry). Medium heat on the skillet and cooked until it looked done.

I have to say, not bad for a quirky experiment.

No comments: