Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Grocery store highs and lows

First off, I'm a Kroger-maniac. It's the last store I pass on the way home from work. I've had a Kroger card for a long, long time. It's not the only store I've ever grocery shopped at, but it's the leader by far.

So I stop tonight to stock up on some of the basics. I even bust out the new reusable bags I bought a while back. Handy little things. Also wanted to try out a new coupon system I recently found out about.

My favorite amiga at work, Marcela, wrote about this site in her blog. It's a coupon site where you enter your store card info and can download coupons to it. And you know, it works. The selection of coupons is limited, but it works. I tried it out on some Hamburger Helper.

One reason I like Kroger is when you check out, they scan all your items, *then* hand them your Kroger card. I like watching the discounts being applied and the total price drop. Tonight's was a $13 drop.

As mentioned above, Kroger isn't the only place I will buy groceries. If needed or more convenient, I'll go to Wal-Mart. I'm not crazy about Wal-Mart, mostly because of the crowds at times and the service is usually bad for me. But the local Wal-Mart here has had one advantage for the longest time. It was the only store that had Ben & Jerry's Stephen Colbert's Americone Dream in stock. No other store carried it. I looked.

Well guess what Wal-Mart. My Kroger now has Americone Dream! WOOOOOO! WE DID IT! One less reason to go to Wal-Mart.

Unless I want some macaroni and cheese. You see, after overdosing on Everyday Italian some time ago, I got crazy and decided to buy something other than the basic mac and cheese mix. So I bought this brand of macaroni and gave it a shot. The mac and cheese recipe results in a dish that made me swear I would never, ever, buy any boxed version of mac and cheese again.

Up until recently, Kroger carried this brand of macaroni. Now apparently, they don't. They have other types of pasta from this company but not the macaroni. They have other brands of macaroni, but they aren't quite the same.

Wal-Mart carries the macaroni. So just when I thought I wouldn't have to step foot there again, they find a way to stick it to me.

Such is life, I guess. Work with what you're dealt.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some Americone Dream to enjoy.

No comments: