Monday, March 3, 2008

The Who's 'Going Mobile'

"This is about taking a vacation by riding around in a car with no particular destination. It was something Pete Townshend liked to do."

I like this song. Not the best Who song, not the worst. But now, it means something else.

Apparently, cell phones are taking over. When I first got a 'mobile phone' back in college, it was so I could have a way to call home if I was ever in a position where I was stranded somewhere along highway 12. You know, mobile.

Well, now I still have a cell and use it in kind of the same way. If I'm away from home, I have a way to contact people while I'm 'mobile'.

It's very handy. But not so handy when I'm not 'mobile'. The vast majority of my time is either spent at the house or at work. While I'm away from home, the cell is the best way to contact me. When I'm at the house, not so much.

I live near the Natchez Trace, like 20 yards near. Cell towers aren't allowed within a certain distance of the Trace. That equates to a weak signal for me. True, I can use my phone and all, but occasionally, I can't carry a proper conversation. It's kinda frustrating.

So I usually turn my phone off when I'm at the house. Problem is, most folks only know my cell number as a way to contact me.

It's awful frustrating. Who knows how many calls I've missed. Of course, I can't complain too much. I know no one important is calling me.

/stopping the pity now
//any props for use of the song?
///ok, will stop now

No comments: