Monday, December 10, 2007

My weekend

An interesting one filled with football (duh), worship and culture. Yeah that's right, I said culture.

As my boy James mentions, this past weekend had the MHSAA football championship games. Since I didn't have a dog (or in this case, lion) in the race, I really didn't care for following the games. But I did get sucked into two of them.

The 5A game Friday night pitted the University of South Panola against George County. For the nearly three quarters, USP toyed with GC. Up 21-0 easily, USP felt they had the victory sealed. Too bad GC kept playing football. Early in the fourth quarter, I drove through the Back Yard Burger there by the stadium. I saw people leaving, so I assumed the game was over. Boy, was I wrong.

George County fought back and cut the lead to 28-21 with time running out. They line up for an onside kick and pull it off. The USP player muffed it and GC had possession with time to drive and tie the game. But they couldn't pull off the miracle tie. USP held on for their 5th straight title.

Saturday morning, the 1A game pitted Ray Brooks against Puckett. Puckett got to Jackson through Weir (grrr) and Ray Brooks got to Jackson because Weir was moved to the south half this season. I didn't care to watch the game, but since my dad wanted to watch it, we kept it on. I only sat down to watch the fourth quarter (notice a pattern?). Puckett looked to be cruising towards the win. Brooks had the ball inside their own 10, until they fumbled it away.

So all Puckett has to do is punch it in, right? Well, Brooks stood tough. Held Puckett out of the endzone on four tries. Brooks gets the ball back on their own one yard line. Two plays later, an 88-yard TD run puts Brooks ahead. It was a heck of a play.

Puckett gets the ball back, but an interception returned for a touchdown seals the Ray Brooks win.

Dear Brooks, you're welcome. (yes, I'm bitter)

Ok, enough football. Time for the main event of the weekend. My parents and grandmother came down Saturday for Carols By Candlelight. As always, it was awesome. Great singing. Great performances. Great everything.

Well, not everything involving Carols was great. The trip to the church was the worst traffic clusterf- mess I've seen in quite some time. First, there was a wreck on High Street. Second, the traffic from the Christmas parade earlier was leaving the fairgrounds. Third, every main road into and out of town seemed to be blocked off. Morons. I'm going to blame Frank and not Mac for this.

So after fighting the urge to kill idiots on the roads, we got to FBCJ with enough time to park and find a seat. As mentioned, the performances were great. Especially the kids. If you get a chance to watch it, watch it.

But wait, what is the culture I mention earlier? I'm getting to it. (you're still reading this far down?)

Friday at work, HR (I assume) offered free tickets to New Stage Theatre's performance of 'A Christmas Carol'. Before you go off, no, I don't hate stage or plays or anything like that. True, it's not the first thing on my list of things to do, or even 10th on the list.

A friend of a co-worker won four free tickets. She and her husband were going, which left two tickets. She offered them to my co-worker, who was asking others if they wanted the ticket. No one else was able to go. I may not have been formally asked since I was scheduled to work that night, but she gave me the ticket anyway and said if I wanted to, to come on down. After thinking about it, watching a play was infinitely better than staring at a computer screen. So I went.

I've been to New Stage before. Ok, once before. But I still remember it. Well, not the play, but I do remember they had Moon Pies and RC Coca Cola during intermission. Of course, I had to get a Moon Pie and RC Coca Cola because Mr. Cutts wouldn't have it any other way.

And yes, I enjoyed the performance. The actor playing Scrooge may have been a bit over the top, but the character of Scrooge is over the top. I think we even witnessed a stage blooper and a bit of improv.

So, I'd like to thank Super Chick for the ticket.

I'm tired of typing so, if you've read this far, why?

2 comments:

The Library Guy said...

Why ask why?

Glad to hear you had a fun weekend. I almost got sucked into that bad traffic Saturday afternoon too, but I was fortunately approaching downtown from Gallatin and could bypass it.

Webmaster said...

And here I was worried you had to deal with work stuff all weekend. Glad to hear you got some culture, man.